Tinahely Railway Walk




The Railway Walk at Tinahely was opened in September 2007. It runs along part of the original train track from Woodenbridge to Shillelagh, alongside the Derry River and through some farmland. It is 2.3km in length. The walk has some picnic tables along the way and a clearly defined path suitable for wheelchairs and sturdy buggies.  Dogs must be kept on a leash.  The Railway Walk terminates at Tomnafinnoge Woods. There is a car park at both ends of the Railway Walk.




Railway Walk Extension: The extension runs from Tinahely Railway Carpark towards Aughrim and is 2km in length. The project was 75% funded by County Wicklow Partnership through the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: “Europe investing in Rural Areas”. The remaining 25% was funded locally.

This launch represents the end of the second phase of the re-development of the old Shillelagh to Woodenbridge railway line which was closed in 1964. This re-development has seen the construction to date of 5km of walking trail which has been enjoyed by walkers of all age groups. This is a partnership project between Tinahely Community Projects, the local landowners and agencies such as County Wicklow Partnership, Wicklow County Council, FAS and Coillte.

Phase 3, the extension of the Railway Walk is in the final stages of planning and we are looking forward to the completion of our wonderful walking trail.


Railway Walk Photo


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.